1 garlic head, peeled and chopped
3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
3 cups red wine vinegar
2kg ripe Flavorite Tomatoes
3 cups raw sugar
2 tspns salt
1 tspn cayenne pepper
2 tbspns golden raisins
4 tbspns blanched slivered almonds
- Put the garlic, ginger and half a cup of the vinegar in the food processor and process until smooth.
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, place the tomatoes and the rest of the vinegar, sugar, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil.
- Add the puree from the food processor and simmer uncovered for two to three hours, until it thickens and a film clings to a spoon when dipped. Stir occasionally at first and more frequently later as it thickens. You may need to lower the heat as the liquid diminishes.
- Add almonds and raisens. Simmer, stirring for another five minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool. It should be as thick as honey.
- Pour into clean, sterilised jars and refrigerate.
- Makes about 4 cups.