4 Chicken thigh fillets, trimmed of fat
3/4 tspn mild Spanish (smoked) paprika
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbspn olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
250g Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced diagonally
250g whole squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1 green capsicum, seeds removed and cut into strips
4 vine-ripened Flavorite Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large pinch saffron threads
1 1/2 cups Spanish (short grain) rice
500g medium green prawns
300g fresh black mussels, cleaned
3 pimento peppers, sliced
- Season chicken with paprika, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a pan and cook until browned.
- Add wine and water to chicken; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from stock and cover; reserve liquid.
- In a large wide pan (preferably a traditional paella pan), cook chorizo over a medium heat until browned.
- Add squid, capsicum, tomatoes, onion, and saffron and cook stirring occasionally, over a low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add the rice to the dish and stir through to coat.
- Pour 3 cups of the reserved stock over the rice. Reduce heat to very low and cover well.
- Check the Paella after 15 minutes and add a little more stock if necessary – do not stir.
- Place the prawns and mussels into the rice and then place the pimentos and sliced chicken around them. Cover with foil and cook until the prawns have turned pink, the mussels have opened and the rice is done.
- Serve from the pan at the table with lime or lemon wedges and fresh bread.
- Serves 6