6.5kg Flavorite tomatoes, 4.5kg whole and 2kg chopped coarsely
2 onions, chopped
1 bouquet garni of thyme, oregano and 2 bay leaves
2 lemons, juice strained
60g fresh basil leaves
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a heavy-based saucepan over low heat.
- Add the onions, herbs and lemon juice. Stir.
- Season with salt and cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks, cut the hard cores from the stem ends of the remaining tomatoes. Dip them in boiling water to loosen their skins, then peel, halve and seed. Add the seeds to the sauce.
- Rinse some preserving jars in hot water and pack the halved and seeded tomatoes into them, with the basil leaves mixed in.
- Sieve the sauce to remove skins and seeds.
- Fill each jar almost to the brim with sauce. Make sure the tomatoes are covered.
- Tap the jars on the table to remove air bubbles. Seal and place them on a rack on a large pan.
- Cover the jars with warm water, bringing very slowly to the boil.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the jars to cool before taking them from the pan.
- Label and store.
- Makes about 4.5kg